Brothers M. Mondays(on Tuesday this week) is our way of sharing our excitement about our chickens.
We have a 3 1/2′ x 7′ wooden trailer, which became our next brooder. I added a lid to it so we could use it to take the chickens to our processor. It doubled as a pretty good brooder. My biggest concern was that predators would breath through the lid, it’s made out of a 1×3 frame and 1/4 inch hardware cloth. It’s pretty sturdy for travel when it’s locked down, but not really meant to keep something from chewing and pulling at the corners.
Turns out I should have been more concerned about how secure the heat lamps were attached via the squeeze handle. One fell off and burned a hole in the floor of the trailer. Fortunately the conditions were right and it only smoldered a hold the size of a basketball instead of starting a fire. Unfortunately I cannot find my picture of the hold. After that I fastened the lights securely to the lid, which looked pretty ominous from outside the tent.
The down side of the trailer was running off an extension cord, how deep the trailer was for reaching onto it, and we outgrew it once we started raising more than 100 birds at a time.
Since I was worried about predators, I setup a trail-cam during one run. Here’s a bonus video I made out of it, hope it makes up for the delayed post.